Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lily of the lake...

'Now folds the lily all her sweetness up,
And slips into the bosom of the lake:
So fold thyself, my dearest, thou, and slip
Into my bosom and be lost in me.'

-From The Princess, Part 7, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

We have just ordered our plants for in and around the lake. We want the lake to have plenty of colour for as much of the year as possible, as well as dense reeds and greenery for the local birdlife to nest in. Waterlillies seem a must..



I found this fantastic collection of antique botanical colour plates. Here are some examples from the collection, along with some photos of other plants we will plant around the lake:

Irises


Waterlillies


Yellow Spatterdock


Water Hyacinth


Pond Pickerel


Marsh Hypericum (St. John's Wort)


Water Forget me not


And of course some more Narcissus...


I wandered lonely as a cloud
that floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden Daffodils
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

- William Wordsworth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...