Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dubbo Chronicles No. 12 - Take me to a zoo that's got chimpanzees

I have just joined up as a member of the Western Plains Zoo! I went on my first visit there the other day.

I didn't see all the animals, as I ran out of time. But my membership allows me to visit as many times as I like for a year. 
Above: With the Giraffes.  There was a newly born giraffe there last week, only a few days old. 

Below: Some African Gazelles


Above: More of the Giraffes (they were far away feeding). They have to splay their legs in order to reach the ground.

It is a very large zoo, about 10 kms away from my flat. There is a cycle path all the way from door to door, and once there you can cycle around from enclosure to enclosure.

Below: More African Elky Thingees

Above and Below: The amazingly lazy Hippos. They didn't flinch a muscle for the whole 10 mins I was there, even when a bird landed on one's face!

Then I saw 2 female Rhinos and a baby Rhino...
The Rhino calf is called Macheo, which means sunrise in Swahili.
There were also some Cheetahs...
And some different African Elky Thingees....

A Bengal Tiger...
Some Monkeys...


Ostriches...

Zebras with a foal...



Emus and Roos...
Another African Buck of some species...
And some Galapagos Tortoises...



I had to cut my visit short, as I was getting dark, but look forward to my next trip out there soon, and taking my camera with me, instead of using my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...