Friday, July 26, 2013

The Wine Cellar Revised...


Gone are my dreams of having a large vaulted subterranean dipsomaniac's dream cellar. When I last blogged about are hopes for a cellar in 2009 we had planned to have a large basement level underneath the manor house. However, due to sticking to the b*dget (It should be a rude word), we had to drastically minimse the basement level. Now I can do without a home theatre, I can do without a bowling alley (not that we ever wanted one of those) But, I will not do without a wine cellar.

I am not a connoisseur, and although my knowledge of NZ wines is very good, I am a novice when it comes to Bordeaux or Super-Tuscans. But I am a collector by nature and I am a traveler. I have designed places in the manor house to display all our collections, and I don't see why wine should be any different.
Also, it is my plan one day to take an extended tour of the chateaux and vineyards of the Loire valley. And when I do, it would be nice to bring some mementos home with us.

So, having settled on the plan there is only one place a wine cellar can now go, adjacent to and under the stairs. Luckily it is a 12 foot stud, and there is a little space between the stairs and lift. So, I stayed up last night re-researching cellar ideas for homes. I then use photoshop to design the cabinetry for the four walls using component ideas I had found. I then downloaded sketchup, learnt how to use it and had a little play. These are the results!






Firstly: narrow is OK. It does not need to be a spacious cavern...


Secondly: Why become down and out when you can go up:



Niches are very popular...


as are cabinets under the niches, such as this one being used as a cigar humidor...


Wine racks can be free standing...

or built in...


Bottles don't have to be perpendicular to the wall. If a narrow area is all you have, try a little lateral thinking...



Sliding trays are stylish (but do take up room)...

and a presentation level at mid torso height is a great way to display your finest vintages...

You can think outside the box and go for diamonds....


But remember, it is hip to be square. When you need a little storage space for something that isn't a bottle you may regret going for diamonds...



When we finally take that Loire tour, I am going to bring home plenty of wooden boxes...


Seeing the bottles is important. A cellar is about display as well as organisation and storage. Otherwise people would keep them in a cardboard box somewhere. Glass doors and windows add that finishing touch to your collection....




Trying to still evoke that memory of a medieval chateaux, wrought iron sconces and chandeliers  help a lot (coupled with masonry and rough hewn stone floors)...



I have found a chandelier that I love...

and a back up... 

Matched with wall sconces...





and One can really go to town with the ironwork when it comes to doors...


again, they are a mixture og glass and iron so that One can see in. 
It adds intrigue, esp if the doors are locked!









I did briefly contemplate a spiral staircase cellar under the kitchen, but with regard to engineering costs we would be right back to where we started.





Goodbye underground treasure cave...

I got a lot of inspiration for the component design with the help of a most amazing cellar design website http://kessickwinecellars.com/. They have some amazing ideas to play around with.

1 comment:

  1. CLUNK! That was the sound of me falling off my chair at this amazing post David. Who would have thought there are so many home cellar options. We had a great stone cellar at our old house & I miss it. It was perfect for stashing all manner of things in other than jam & wine - kid's Christmas pressies, ex-husband's etc.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...